Chopped Chicken Liver
Martha Stewart Living, December 2006
- 1/4 cup rendered chicken fat
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound chicken livers, trimmed and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup Marsala wine
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, leaves
- 2 large eggs, hard-boiled
- Crackers, for serving
- Heat chicken fat in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions; cook, stirring often, until translucent, 8 to 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until caramelized, about 25 minutes more. Add livers. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt; season with pepper. Cover; cook, stirring often, until livers are cooked through, about 12 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Place skillet over medium heat. Add Marsala and thyme. Cook, stirring, until reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Let cool completely. Pulse pan juices, onions, livers, and eggs in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Sprinkle with remaining teaspoon salt, and season with pepper. Serve with crackers.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.