Mushroom Pasta with Ricotta
This simple pasta highlights the great taste of affordable button mushrooms.
Everyday Food, October 2009
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 12 ounces rigatoni, or other short pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 pound white button or cremini mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 1 cup ricotta
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Shaved Parmesan, for serving
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente. Reserve 3/4 cup pasta water; drain pasta and return to pot.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium. Add onion and cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Add wine and cook until almost evaporated, 4 to 6 minutes. Add mushrooms; season with salt and pepper and cook until browned, about 8 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and stir in 1 tablespoon butter.
- Add mushroom mixture, ricotta, and lemon juice to pasta; stir to combine, adding enough pasta water to create a thin sauce. Serve topped with Parmesan.
For even more flavor, experiment with dried porcini mushrooms.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.