This recipe makes four ravioli, but you can serve the soup with one or two in each bowl. If you don't have time to make the stock and ravioli, substitute 4 cups low-sodium store-bought chicken stock and fresh ravioli and start at step 8.
Martha Stewart Living
- 1 whole chicken (about 3 pounds, liver and neck reserved)
- 3 large sprigs flat-leaf parsley, plus 1 tablespoon finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves
- 10 black peppercorns, crushed
- Coarse salt
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 large egg
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 8 square wonton wrappers (3 1/2 inches), thawed if frozen
- Rinse chicken liver and neck; pat dry. Using kitchen shears, remove backbone from chicken, and transfer to a medium stockpot. Add neck. Cut off wings, legs, and thighs; add to pot. (Reserve liver for Chicken Roulade.)
- Remove skin from breast. Cut breast off bone, and add bone to pot. (Reserve breast for Chicken Roulade.)
- Add 10 cups water, parsley sprigs, carrot,
garlic, peppercorns, and 1 teaspoon salt to pot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce to a simmer, and cook 45 minutes, skimming foam from top.
- Using tongs, transfer the wings, legs, thighs, and carrot to a plate, and let cool slightly. Remove meat from bones, and finely chop. Transfer 1/2 cup meat to a small bowl; reserve remainder for another use. Return bones to pot. Cut 8 thin slices from carrot; trim into heart shapes, and set aside.
- Simmer stock 45 minutes more. Pour through a sieve lined with cheesecloth into a bowl; discard solids. Set aside, reserving 1/4 cup for Chicken Roulade.
- Stir cheese, chopped parsley, 1/4 teaspoon
salt, the pepper, and egg in bowl with chicken; cover, and set aside.
- Roll out 2 wonton wrappers on a lightly floured surface to 4 1/2 inch squares. Place a tablespoon of chicken filling in center of a wrapper. Place 2 carrot pieces on top of filling. Moisten edges of wrapper
with a wet pastry brush. Top with other wrapper. Press edges with fork tines to seal. Repeat to make 4 ravioli.
- Bring chicken stock just to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Meanwhile, bring a medium pot of water to a boil; add 1 tablespoon salt. Add the ravioli, 1 at a time, and cook 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer ravioli to the stock. Divide stock and ravioli evenly between 2 serving bowls.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.