Collard Greens with Lemon
Martha Stewart Living, November 2008
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 15 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 2 small bunches collard greens (about 1 1/2 pounds), stems removed, leaves cut crosswise into 1/2-inch strips
- 3/4 cup homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken stock
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter and the garlic in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add greens, and cook, stirring often, until wilted, about 3 minutes. Stir in stock, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and the zest, and cover. Reduce heat to medium, and cook until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Add lemon juice and remaining tablespoon of butter. Stir until butter melts. Season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately with lemon wedges.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.