Shrimp and Grapefruit Spinach Salad
Orange slices are a common addition to spinach salad, but grapefruit is also delicious.
Everyday Food, January/February 2003
- Prep Time 40 minutes
- Total Time 40 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 3 pink grapefruit
- 3 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 1/2 pounds spinach, stems trimmed and leaves washed well (about 3 1/2 quarts)
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- With a sharp knife, peel the grapefruit, removing all the bitter white pith. Slice about 3/8 inch thick.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Drizzle in 1/2 cup of the oil, whisking to combine.
- Season the shrimp with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the remaining tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add the shrimp, and cook, turning once, until pink, about 3 minutes per side.
- Add the grapefruit, cooked shrimp, spinach, and onion to the vinaigrette in the large bowl. Toss well. Serve at once.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.