Pear and Sausage Pie
Martha Stewart Living, October 2005
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 ounces pork sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, halved lengthwise, 1/2 finely chopped, 1/2 thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 medium green cabbage, about 1/2 pound, cored and shredded
- 2 dried juniper berries, slightly crushed with the flat side of a large knife
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup verjus, or cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light-brown sugar
- Short Pastry Crust (http://www.marthastewart.com/261352/short-pastry-crust)
- All-purpose flour, for work surface
- 4 Anjou pears
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 large egg yolk
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage; cook until well browned, about 3 minutes, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon. Add chopped onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft and translucent, about 4 minutes. Add sage; cook, stirring occasionally, 1 minute more. Transfer to a medium bowl; season with pepper. Stir in cheese; set aside.
- Melt remaining tablespoon butter in the skillet over medium heat. Add sliced onions; cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 4 minutes. Stir in cabbage, juniper berries, caraway seeds, bay leaf, verjus, and sugar, scraping bottom of skillet to loosen any browned bits. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is wilted and tender, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Discard juniper berries and bay leaf.
- Roll 3/4 of the dough on a lightly floured surface into a 21-by-12-inch rectangle, about 1/4-inch thick. Line a 13-by-4 1/2-inch loaf pan with dough, allowing dough to drape over edges. Freeze until cold, about 10 minutes.
- Using an apple corer, remove 3/4 of the core from each pear, leaving stem end intact. Remove another tablespoon flesh from each cavity. Spoon 2 tablespoons sausage mixture into cavity of each pear; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Assemble pie: Spread cabbage mixture in an even layer over dough. Set stuffed pears on top. Roll out remaining dough on a lightly floured surface to a 14-by-6-inch rectangle, about 1/4-inch thick. Cut out four 2-inch circles from dough along centerline, about 1 inch apart. Place dough over pie, with pears poking through the holes. Gently crimp edges of dough to seal. Freeze until cold, about 15 minutes.
- Whisk together cream and egg yolk in a small bowl. Brush crust with egg wash. Bake pie on a rimmed baking sheet until crust is golden brown and juices are bubbling, 45 to 50 minutes.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.