Savory Oat Groats and Kale
Oat groats are sold at health-food stores.
Martha Stewart Living, March 2005
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion (1/2 cup), finely chopped
- 1 medium leek, white and pale-green parts only, halved lengthwise, cut into matchsticks, and rinsed well
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 cup oat groats
- 1 cup homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 6 ounces Tuscan kale (also called cavolonero), stemmed and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- Freshly ground pepper
- Crushed red-pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add onion, leek, and half the garlic. Cook, stirring, until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in carrot and groats; cook 1 minute. Add stock, 1 cup water, and the salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 25 minutes.
- Heat remaining tablespoon oil in a medium skillet over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add remaining garlic; cook until garlic begins to turn golden, about 30 seconds. Stir in kale; cook, stirring, until wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Stir kale mixture into groats. Cover; cook until liquid is completely absorbed and groats are tender but still chewy, about 5 minutes. Season with pepper and red-pepper flakes. Garnish with cheese, and serve with lemon wedges.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.