Classic Mashed Potatoes
Martha Stewart Living, November 2008
- 4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter
- Place potatoes and 2 tablespoons salt in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water by 2 inches, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat cream, milk, and butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until butter melts.
- Drain potatoes, and press through a ricer into a large saucepan. (Alternatively, mash the potatoes with a potato masher until smooth.) Pour warmed cream mixture over potatoes in a slow, steady stream, and stir until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, or keep warm in a covered bowl over simmering water for up to 2 hours.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.