In this recipe, toast rounds are topped twice, first with a garlicky chickpea spread, then with an olive relish.
Martha Stewart Living, October Fall 2003
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1 can (15 1/2 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 large pitted green olives, cut into 1/8-inch slivers
- 2 tablespoons finely diced celery, plus celery leaves for garnish
- 12 slices (1/3 inch thick) baguette, toasted
- Make spread: In a food processor, combine chickpeas, 1/4 cup oil, lemon juice, and garlic. Pulse to form a smooth paste. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Make relish: In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon oil, olives, and celery. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Divide chickpea spread evenly among toasts, and top with olive relish. Drizzle with remaining tablespoon oil; season with pepper. Serve immediately, garnished with celery leaves.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.