Portobello Mushroom Burger with Spicy Avocado Sauce
Everyday Food, December 2005
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 50 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 jalapeno chile, finely chopped (ribs and seeds removed, for less heat), if desired
- 4 soft rolls, split horizontally
- 1 beefsteak tomato, cored and thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss mushrooms with oil and 2/3 cup water; season with salt and pepper. Arrange stemmed side down; cover loosely with foil. Roast until tender, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl, mash avocado with a fork. Stir in mustard, horseradish, and lime juice. Fold in jalapeno season with salt and pepper.
- Toast rolls. Dividing evenly, layer each bottom half with tomato and portobello, and each top half with avocado mixture.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.