Beef Carpaccio with Pears and Arugula
The beef in this recipe is not cooked. It should not be prepared for pregnant women, babies, young children, the elderly, or anyone whose health is compromised.
Martha Stewart Living, October 2006
- 1 whole beef tenderloin (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, plus wedges for serving
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 Forelle pears (about 1 pound total)
- 6 ounces arugula, trimmed
- 4 ounces Parmesan cheese, shaved
- Wrap beef in plastic, and chill in freezer until firm, about 1 hour. Using a very sharp knife, cut beef across the grain into 1/8-inch-thick slices. Gently pound slices between pieces of waxed paper. Refrigerate beef slices between pieces of waxed paper 1 hour (up to 2 hours).
- Whisk together oil, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of pepper in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Cut pears into 1/2-inch-thick wedges. Toss with 2 tablespoons lemon juice in a bowl. Arrange beef in a single layer on serving plates. Drizzle with oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss arugula with the dressing, and arrange over beef. Arrange pears over arugula. Top with Parmesan; drizzle with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Serve with lemon wedges.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.