Using a mandoline to slice the potatoes is quick and easy. You can do so up to four hours ahead; to prevent browning, place matchsticks in a bowl of cold water in the refrigerator until ready to use, then pat them dry with paper towels.
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- Vegetable oil, cooking spray
- 2 medium russet potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), cut into matchsticks
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray; set aside. Toss together potatoes, oil, and 1 teaspoon salt in a bowl. Arrange potatoes in a single layer on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake, turning potatoes with a metal spatula 2 or 3 times and rotating sheets halfway through, until potatoes are crisp and edges turn golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Arrange potatoes on a large piece of parchment paper; let cool 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.