Southern Egg Salad
Everyday Food, October 2006
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish, or chopped pickle
- 1/8 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 slices dark bread, such as multigrain or pumpernickel
- Carrot sticks, for serving (optional)
- Place eggs in a small saucepan, and cover with water by 1 inch. Bring water to a boil; immediately remove from heat, and cover. Let stand 12 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold running water.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, shallot, relish, and Old Bay Seasoning. Peel eggs; coarsely chop, and fold into mayonnaise mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top one slice of bread with egg salad and remaining slice of bread. Wrap in waxed paper or plastic and refrigerate, up to overnight. Serve with carrot sticks, if desired.
Wrap in waxed paper or plastic and refrigerate, up to overnight.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.