Very Fine Mashed Potatoes
Martha Stewart Living, November 2006
- 5 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered, or halved if small
- 2 cloves garlic
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 7 ounces creme fraiche
- Freshly ground pepper
- Put potatoes and garlic into a large stockpot; cover with cold water. Add 1 tablespoon salt. Bring to a boil; cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain. Press through a potato ricer or a food mill into a large bowl, and cover.
- Meanwhile, stir milk, cream, butter, and 1 tablespoon salt in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat until steaming but not boiling. Stir in creme fraiche. Stir into potatoes until just combined; season with pepper. Using a large whisk, whip potatoes until fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes; season with salt.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.