Maple-Glazed Sweet Potatoes with Cipollini Onions
Rather than bake sweet potatoes, chef Scott Fratangelo caramelizes them in a maple glaze, balancing the sweetness with cipollini onions.
Blueprint, November/December 2007
- 2 cups (8 ounces) cipollini onions
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 5 sweet potatoes (2 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch-thick semicircles
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced sage leaves
- Prepare an ice-water bath. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add onions, and blanch for 30 seconds. Transfer to ice-water bath; drain, and peel onions.
- Heat oil in saute pan over medium heat until almost smoking. Add onions, and saute until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low, and continue to cook onions until tender, about 5 minutes more. Remove onions. Reheat pan over medium-high heat until almost smoking. Add sweet potatoes; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until browned, about 20 minutes. Add butter, and cook, stirring, until tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Stir in maple syrup and onions, and cook another 4 minutes, until maple syrup has reduced to a glaze. Stir in sage, and season with salt and pepper.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.