Slow-Cooker Beef and Black-Bean Chili
There's no need to soak these dried beans because they simmer in the slow cooker. Save a little of the chopped red onion for a fresh garnish.
Everyday Food, April 2009
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 6 hours, 10 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 1 pound beef chuck, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 cup dried black beans, rinsed
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream, for serving
- In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine beef, tomato puree, beans, onion (reserve 1 tablespoon for garnish), garlic, chili powder, 2 cups water, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cover, and cook on high, 6 hours (or on low, 8 hours). Serve chili topped with sour cream and reserved onion.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.