Buttermilk Pastry Cream
Martha Stewart Living, July
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Whisk together sugar, flour, and salt; set aside. Put buttermilk and yolks in a small saucepan. Gradually whisk in sugar mixture, and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 4 minutes. Stir in vanilla, zest, and lemon juice.
- Pour cream into a bowl set in an ice-water bath. Let cool completely, stirring occasionally. Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use, up to 2 days.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.