Grilled Italian Sausages and Tomatoes on Focaccia
You can substitute slices of ciabatta or rustic Italian bread for the focaccia.
Martha Stewart Living, July 2006
- 4 tomatoes (about 2 1/4 pounds total), halved crosswise
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano leaves, coarsely chopped
- 6 fresh sweet, spicy, or fennel Italian sausages (<a href="http://www.schallerweber.com" class="page" target="_blank">www.schallerweber.com</a>)
- 12 pieces focaccia (about 3 by 4 inches each)
- Preheat a grill to medium-high (if you are using a charcoal grill, coals are ready when you can hold your hand 5 inches above grill for just 3 to 4 seconds). Season tomatoes with salt and pepper; drizzle with about 2 tablespoons oil. Grill tomatoes, cut side down, until marked by grill and beginning to soften, 5 to 7 minutes. Flip tomatoes, and grill until soft and juicy, but still holding shape, 5 to 7 minutes more. Transfer to a cutting board, and coarsely chop. Transfer to a medium bowl. Add oregano, and toss to combine. Season with salt, and drizzle with remaining oil; set aside.
- Grill sausages, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through, about 12 minutes. Cut each sausage in half lengthwise. Using a slotted spoon, divide tomatoes among focaccia; top each with a sausage half, arranging cut side down. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.