Pasta Salad with Roasted Broccoli
A high proportion of vegetables turns this pasta salad into a light, nutritious meal.
Everyday Food, January/February 2006
- Prep Time 40 minutes
- Total Time 40 minutes
- Serves 4
Yield Serves 4
- 2 pounds (2 heads) broccoli
- 3 garlic cloves, halved lengthwise (skin on)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 8 ounces jarred roasted red peppers, rinsed and cut into 1/2-inch strips (1 Cup)
- 1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup walnuts, broken into pieces
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Trim 1 inch from stems of broccoli. Peel outer layer of stems; cut diagonally into 1/2-inch slices. Separate florets into bite-size pieces. On one large or two small rimmed baking sheets, toss broccoli, garlic, and 1 tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper. Spread in a single layer; roast, rotating sheets and turning broccoli halfway through, until tender and beginning to brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, according to package instructions. Drain pasta, reserving 1/4 cup cooking water; rinse under cold water until cool, and drain. Return to pot.
- Remove skin from roasted garlic. In a small bowl, mash garlic until it forms a paste; whisk in lemon juice and remaining tablespoon oil. Season with salt and pepper. Pour mixture over pasta; toss in broccoli, red peppers, olives, and walnuts. Add some reserved cooking water, if needed. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.