Martha Stewart Living Television
- Yield Makes one 8-inch tart
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons ice water
- 1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour and sugar. Add butter, and process until mixture resembles a coarse meal, approximately 10 seconds. (To mix by hand, combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl; using a pastry blender or two table knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.)
- With the machine running, gradually add water and egg yolk through the feed tube. Process just until dough holds together without being wet or sticky; do not process more than 30 seconds. Test the dough at this point by squeezing a small amount together. If it is crumbly, add a bit more water.
- Turn dough out onto a large piece of plastic wrap. Grasping the ends of the plastic wrap with your hands, press dough into a flat circle with your fists. This makes rolling easier than if the pastry is chilled as a ball. Wrap dough in plastic and chill for at least an hour.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.