Zucchini Ribbons with Mint
Fresh raw vegetables require few embellishments to highlight their flavors.
Everyday Food, September 2004
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 1 1/2 pounds (4 to 6) small zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Ground pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- Using a sharp-shaped vegetable peeler, peel zucchini lengthwise. To cut ribbons, hold the zucchini in one hand and peeler in the other, peel long, wide strips lengthwise. Once it becomes hard to handle, place zucchini, cut side down, on board; continue peeling. Transfer to a large bowl; toss with coarse salt. Let sit until zucchini releases some of its liquid, about 10 minutes. Pour off accumulated liquid; blot zucchini dry with paper towels.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together fresh lemon juice and olive oil; season with salt and ground pepper. Pour mixture over zucchini. Add mint leaves and red onion; toss gently, and serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.