Photography: David Loftus
Everyday Food, November 2005
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Serves 8
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon peeled and finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 bag (12 ounces) fresh cranberries, rinsed and picked over
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-low. Add shallots and ginger; cook, stirring occasionally, until shallots are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add cranberries, sugar, vinegar, and 1 cup water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring often, until most of the berries have burst and mixture has thickened, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Let cool completely. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.