Coconut Cream Pie
Coconut stars in the crust, filling, and topping of this dessert.
Everyday Food, November 2009
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour, plus chilling
- Yield Serves 8
For the Crust
- 30 chocolate wafer cookies, broken into pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
For the Topping and Filling
- 1 3/4 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 3/4 cups whole milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Make crust: Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a food processor, combine cookies and salt; process until fine crumbs form. With machine running, slowly pour butter through feed tube and process until mixture resembles wet sand. Stir in coconut. Press crumbs in bottom and up side of a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. Bake until crust is set, about 25 minutes. Let cool completely in pie plate on a wire rack.
- Make topping: Increase heat to 350. Spread 1/2 cup coconut on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until golden, 10 to 12 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Make filling: In a small saucepan, whisk together milk, egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, and salt. Cook over medium-high, whisking constantly, until bubbles form at the edge and mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl and stir in 1 1/4 cups coconut. Pour filling into cooled crust and smooth top. Refrigerate until filling is chilled and completely set, about 2 hours (or wrap tightly with plastic and refrigerate, up to 2 days).
- To serve, whip cream until soft peaks form. Top pie with whipped cream and toasted coconut.
Toasting the coconut topping gives it a rich, nutty flavor and crunchy texture.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.