This recipe for seven-minute frosting should be used when making Lemon Meringue Cupcakes.
Martha Stewart Cupcakes, May Spring 2009
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 6 large egg whites, room temperature
- Combine 1 1/2 cups sugar with the water and corn syrup in a small saucepan; clip a candy thermometer to side of pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves. Continue boiling, without stirring, until syrup reaches 230 degrees.
- Meanwhile, in the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk egg whites on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. With mixer running, add remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, beating to combine.
- As soon as sugar syrup reaches 230 degrees, remove from heat. With mixer on medium-low speed, pour syrup down side of bowl in a slow, steady stream. Raise speed to medium-high; whisk until mixture is completely cool (test by touching the bottom of the bowl) and stiff (but not dry) peaks form, about 7 minutes. Use immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.