This recipe is used to create our Peppermint House.
Martha Stewart Living, December 2009
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 3 large egg whites
- Heat 3/4 cup sugar, the water, and corn syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Cook until syrup registers 230 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- Meanwhile, beat egg whites with a mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes. With machine running, add remaining tablespoon sugar, and beat to combine.
- Once sugar syrup reaches 230 degrees, immediately remove from heat. With mixer on medium-low, pour syrup down side of bowl into egg-white mixture. Increase speed to medium-high, and beat until mixture is completely cool and stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes. Use immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.