Romaine Hearts with Feta Cheese, Black Olives, and Red Onions
Ingredients in Greek salads vary, but feta cheese and olives are essential.
Martha Stewart Living, June 2000
- 2 small heads romaine lettuce
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1/2 unwaxed cucumber, or waxed and peeled
- 1/2 cup Greek black olives, like Kalamata, plus more if desired
- 6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Remove outer leaves of romaine, reserving for another use. Separate leaves from heart; arrange in a serving bowl.
- Using a mandoline or a sharp knife, shave the onion and the cucumber into thin, transparent rounds.
- Scatter onion, cucumber, and olives over romaine. Crumble feta directly onto salad. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper; serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.