Pasta with Spinach-Basil Sauce
To freeze the sauce, cool completely before transferring to storage containers. Freeze up to three months. To cook: Defrost sauce overnight in refrigerator (or use the microwave); reheat over medium-low heat. Cook pasta.
Everyday Food, September 2004
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Serves 8
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup shallots, minced
- 1 pound spinach, stemmed and washed
- 1 bunch basil, stemmed (4 to 5 cups lightly packed)
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 pounds fettuccine
- In small saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Cook shallots, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, submerge spinach and basil in a large pot of simmering salted water; drain immediately. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible; transfer spinach and basil to a food processor.
- Add shallots, ricotta, Parmesan, and nutmeg; season with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Process until smooth.
- Cook pasta until al dente, according to package instructions. Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta water. Toss pasta with spinach sauce; thin with pasta water, as needed. Serve with extra grated Parmesan, if desired.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.