Photo: Gentl & Hyers
Treviso Radicchio Salad with Walnut Vinaigrette
Aged pecorino Toscano cheese is fairly hard; young pecorino Toscano is softer and milder. You can use good-quality provolone cheese instead, if you like.
Martha Stewart Living, May 2005
- 8 thin slices pancetta (about 4 ounces)
- 3 heads Treviso radicchio (about 1 1/2 pounds), quartered lengthwise
- 1/2 cup walnut oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup champagne vinegar
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 ounces shaved young pecorino
- Toscano cheese
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-low heat; arrange pancetta in skillet in a single layer. Cook, turning occasionally, until crisp, about 12 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Break into 1-inch pieces.
- Put radicchio in a large bowl. Add oil to skillet; heat over medium heat. Add shallots; immediately remove skillet from heat. Whisk in vinegar, walnuts, salt, and pepper; pour over radicchio. Toss well. Top with pancetta and cheese.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.