Pan-Seared Chicken with Shallot and Carrots
Everyday Food, November 2008
- Prep Time 5 minutes
- Total Time 25 minutes
- Yield Serves 1
- 2 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 shallot, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Season chicken with salt and pepper; sprinkle both sides with flour.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-low. Place chicken, skin side down, in skillet, and cook (without turning) until skin is browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Turn chicken over, and push to one side of skillet. Add shallot and carrots to other side of skillet; season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing vegetables occasionally, until chicken is opaque throughout and vegetables are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer chicken and vegetables to a plate; sprinkle vegetables with parsley, if desired.
Cooking the chicken and the vegetables in the same pan eliminates the need for extra oil. You can substitute 1/4 small red or yellow onion for the shallot.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.