Stewed Green Beans and Poblanos
Caramelizing the onions adds another layer of flavor in this recipe.
Photography: Anna Williams
Martha Stewart Living, November 2007
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 medium onions. thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 3 poblano chiles, seeds and ribs removed, cut into 1/4-inch strips (3 cups)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to caramelize, about 13 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until soft, about 2 minutes. Add green beans, chiles, water, salt, and pepper, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until green beans and chiles are tender and liquid has evaporated, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.