Kimchi Stew with Chicken and Tofu
Even assertive ingredients can calm the stomach in this warming chicken and kimchi soup with its intense but balanced flavors.
Martha Stewart Living, November 2007
- 3 3/4 cups homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 bone-in, skinless chicken thighs, excess fat trimmed
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced anchovy fillets
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 jars (16 ounces each) kimchi, drained, 1/2 cup liquid reserved
- 16 ounces silken tofu
- 3 scallions, white and pale-green parts only, thinly sliced diagonally
- Bring stock, water, chicken thighs, garlic, ginger, anchovies, and salt to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat, and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Transfer chicken to a plate, reserving broth. Let chicken stand until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bone, and shred into bite-size pieces.
- Add chicken, kimchi, and reserved kimchi liquid to cooking broth in pan, and place pan over low heat. Gently add spoonfuls of tofu to pan, being careful not to break it. Gently shake pan to submerge tofu. Bring to a very gentle simmer, and cook until tofu is heated through, 3 to 5 minutes. Add scallions. Divide soup among bowls.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.