Fennel Sausage Stuffing
This stuffing features fennel sausage and, for special effect, is spooned into a biscuit pan to make individual portions.
- 12 cups cubed sourdough bread, crusts removed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 pounds fennel sausage, removed from casing
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/2 fennel bulb, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped leeks
- 2 cups finely chopped red onion
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup golden raisins
- Pinch dried red pepper flakes
- 2 cups chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
- 2 tablespoons chopped thyme
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons very soft unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 4 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toss cubed bread with 3 tablespoons olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet and bake until bread is crisp, about 30 minutes.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Crumble in sausage and cook, stirring until brown. Remove sausage; discard oil. Reheat pot over medium heat. Add 1/4 cup olive oil, and heat until hot. Add garlic, carrots, fennel, leeks, and onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add wine and raisins. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer about 3 minutes. Stir in sausage and red pepper flakes. Remove from heat. Stir in nuts, herbs, bread, stock, butter, and eggs. Mix well.
- Mound 1 1/4 cup stuffing mixture into 1/2-cup capasity buttered muffin tins. Bake until golden and crusty on top, about 30 to 40 minutes.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.