Twice-Baked Potatoes with Broccoli
Stuffed potatoes can be made a day ahead and refrigerated; bake them for about thirty minutes to heat through.
Martha Stewart Living, July
- 12 small russet potatoes (about 8 ounces each), pierced with a fork
- Coarse salt
- 2 heads broccoli (1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds each), trimmed and cut into florets
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), softened
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake potatoes until tender, about 1 hour. Let cool slightly on a wire rack.
- Prepare an ice-water bath; set aside. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon salt. Add broccoli, and cook until very tender, about 8 minutes. Transfer to ice-water bath to stop cooking. Drain well. Set aside.
- Cut potatoes lengthwise, removing 1/2 inch off tops; set tops aside. Holding potatoes with a kitchen towel to protect your hand, scoop out flesh, leaving about a 1/2-inch-thick shell on skins; discard flesh of 2 potatoes. Pass remaining flesh through a ricer into a large bowl.
- Add broccoli to bowl with potatoes. Using a pastry blender or potato masher, mash broccoli and potatoes together. Add butter, oil, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; mash until combined. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper. Season potato shells with salt and pepper. Spoon potato mixture into shells. Cover with reserved tops. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Cover sheet with foil, and bake until heated through, about 15 minutes. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.