- 2 pounds small plum tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon sea salt flakes
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for filling jar
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Prepare an ice-water bath; set aside. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add tomatoes, and cook 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer tomatoes to the ice-water bath to stop the cooking; let cool completely in ice-water bath. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels, and let drain.
- Slit tomatoes lengthwise, leaving halves attached along 1 edge. Open each tomato like a book, and arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast until edges have shriveled slightly, about 40 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, stir together garlic, red pepper flakes, lemon thyme, and salt in a small bowl. Sprinkle one side of each tomato with about 1 teaspoon of the seasoning mixture; fold over other side.
- Layer tomatoes in a sterilized, dry 1-quart jar. Pour in enough oil to cover tomatoes. Place a round of waxed paper on surface to keep them submerged. Refrigerate at least 24 hours; let stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving.
Tomatoes can be stored on the top shelf of the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.