Braised Chicken with Dried Plums
On a cool night, simmer chicken with onion and white wine for a comforting and flavorful meal. Chicken thighs stay moist as they cook slowly in this hearty braise. Serve with polenta or mashed potatoes to catch the savory sauce.
Everyday Food, September 2008
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 35 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 bone-in, skinless chicken thighs (about 3 pounds total)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
- 1 cup pitted dried plums
- In a 5-quart Dutch oven or heavy pot with a lid, heat oil over medium-high. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Cook in two batches, until browned, 6 to 8 minutes, turning halfway through. Transfer to a plate.
- To pot, add onion, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until onion begins to brown, 3 to 5 minutes (reduce heat if browning too quickly). Add flour; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add wine and chicken along with any accumulated juices.
- Cover, and cook until chicken is opaque throughout, 8 to 10 minutes; stir in dried plums.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.