- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 1/4 pounds baby artichokes
- 1/2 cup homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Fill a large bowl with water, and juice lemon into water. Reserve lemon halves. Remove tough outer leaves of artichokes. Trim pointy tops and stems, rubbing artichokes with lemon halves and then transferring them to the lemon water as you work to prevent discoloration. Cut larger baby artichokes in half lengthwise if desired.
- Drain artichokes, and transfer to a large skillet along with stock, wine, and oil. Set over medium-high heat, and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, until artichokes are tender and golden and liquid has completely evaporated, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.
Baby artichokes are easy to prepare; simply trim the tops and stems and snap off tough outer leaves. If you come across a baby artichoke that happens to have a fuzzy choke in the center, scrape it out with a spoon.