Martha Stewart Living, December 2006
- Yield Makes about 3 dozen
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Sanding sugar, for sprinkling
- Whisk flour, salt, and cardamom in a medium bowl. Put butter and granulated sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Mix in vanilla. Reduce speed to low, and gradually mix in flour mixture.
- Press the dough into a 10-by-15-inch rimmed baking sheet. Press parchment paper onto surface, and smooth top. Remove parchment; wrap sheet in plastic. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using snowflake-shape cutters, cut out cookies, and arrange by size on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Refrigerate 15 minutes. Sprinkle with sanding sugar. Bake until golden, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.