Crispy Cheddar Cakes with Bacon
Martha Stewart Living, August 2004
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 50 minutes
- Serves 4
Yield Makes about 12 cakes
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp white cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 scallions, white and pale-green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more if necessary (optional)
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Pour off fat into a bowl. Wipe skillet clean with a paper towel; set aside.
- Stir together cheese, sour cream, bell pepper, scallions, flour, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, cayenne, and egg yolks in a large bowl; set aside. In another large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold beaten egg whites into reserved batter.
- Heat 2 tablespoons reserved fat (or vegetable oil) in skillet over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Working in batches of 3 or 4, pour 2 tablespoons batter into skillet for each cake; cook, turning once, until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes (add more fat or oil if skillet seems dry). Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot with reserved bacon.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.