Chilled Yogurt-Spinach Soup with Shrimp
Martha Stewart Living, May 2005
- 1 1/2 cucumbers (about 1 pound), peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 containers (7 ounces each) plain low-fat Greek yogurt (2 percent)
- 1 3/4 cups low-sodium store-bought chicken broth
- 2 scallions (white and pale-green parts cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces, dark-green parts julienned)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped plus 1 teaspoon red onion
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon, freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 pound rock shrimp, rinsed well
- Stir together cucumbers, half the yogurt, 3/4 cup broth, the pieces of scallions, and 1 teaspoon salt; season with pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add garlic; cook until just golden, about 1 minute. Add spinach; cook, stirring, until wilted, about 3 minutes. Stir into yogurt mixture.
- Working in batches, puree mixture in a food processor. Transfer to a large bowl, and stir in remaining yogurt, the onion, and lemon juice. Refrigerate, covered, until cold, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, put remaining cup broth, 3/4 cup water, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan; season with pepper. Bring to a boil. Add the shrimp; cook until pink and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain. Refrigerate the shrimp, covered, until cold, about 1 hour. Divide the soup and shrimp among 4 bowls. Garnish with julienned scallions.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.