New Potatoes with Ginger and Mint
Martha Stewart Living, July 2007
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 35 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 pounds new potatoes, scrubbed and halved
- 3 tablespoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 cups water, plus more as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 3/4 cup fresh mint leaves, coarsely chopped
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and 2 tablespoons ginger. Cook until potatoes are browned, 7 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat, and carefully add water (it will spatter). Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt, the cayenne, cumin, and turmeric. Return to medium-high heat, and cook until potatoes are tender and water has evaporated. (If not yet tender, add more water, 1/4 cup at a time, and continue to cook.)
- Stir in remaining oil and ginger, along with the mint, lime zest, salt, and pepper. Cook until mixture thickens and coats potatoes, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in lime juice.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.