Everyday Food, September 2003
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until thick and light; beat in flour and cornstarch.
- In a saucepan, bring milk just to a boil; whisking constantly, gradually add milk to egg mixture.
- Return mixture to saucepan. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly to prevent scorching, until mixture is thick and pulling away from sides of pan, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in vanilla.
- Using a rubber spatula, press mixture through a sieve into a bowl. Cover surface directly with plastic wrap, and cool to room temperature in refrigerator.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.