Martha Stewart Living, December/January 1999/2000
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons packed light-brown sugar
- 10 Granny Smith apples, cored, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Juice of half a lemon
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter and 3 tablespoons brown sugar in a large skillet over high heat. When butter is melted and bubbling, add half the apples. Sprinkle apples with 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until apples are soft and slightly golden, about 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons butter and 3 tablespoons sugar in skillet. Add remaining apples and cinnamon. Cook according to step 1. Transfer cooked apples to same large bowl. Stir in lemon juice. Cool completely before using for cookies.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.