Macaroni and Cheese
Everyday Food, September 2006
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 12 ounces plain or whole-wheat corkscrew pasta (fusilli)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups), plus more for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss tomatoes with oil on prepared baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. Roast until lightly browned and soft, 8 to 10 minutes; set aside.
- Cook pasta in boiling water until al dente, according to package instructions. Drain; set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, melt butter over low heat in a large saucepan. Add flour; cook, whisking, 1 minute. Gradually, whisk in milk, then nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, and a pinch of pepper; bring to a simmer. Cook, whisking constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in cheese until melted.
- Add cooked pasta to cheese mixture; stir to combine. (Sauce will thicken as it stands.) Serve topped with tomatoes and, if desired, additional grated cheddar.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.