Quick Vegetable and Navy-Bean Stew
You don't have to spend a long time in the kitchen to make a full-flavored stew; our potato, bean, and mushroom stew is ready in less than an hour.
Everyday Food, October 2004
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 small red potatoes (10 ounces), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound button mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 10 ounces baby spinach leaves, rinsed well
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar, optional
- Ground pepper
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat; swirl to coat pan. Add onion and potatoes; cook until onion is lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Add mushrooms, thyme, and salt; cook, stirring often, until mushrooms are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and 2 cups water; cover, and cook until potatoes are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add half the spinach; cover, and cook until wilted, about 1 minute. Add remaining spinach and beans; cook, covered, until heated through. Stir in vinegar, if desired. Season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.