Fried Bread with Roasted Garlic
Roasted garlic is delicious spread onto bread. Use a butter knife or your fingers to squeeze cloves from their skins.
Martha Stewart Living, September 2006
- 3 heads garlic, tops cut off to expose cloves
- 3/4 to 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 baguette, cut diagonally into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place garlic, cut side up, on a piece of foil; drizzle with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Wrap to enclose. Roast until tender, about 1 hour. Let cool slightly. Squeeze cloves from skins into a medium bowl, and mash with a fork; discard skins. Roasted garlic can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 3 days; bring to room temperature before serving.
- Heat 1/2 cup oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Working in batches to avoid crowding, fry bread, flipping once, until golden, about 3 minutes per side. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain. Add more oil, 1/4 cup at a time, to skillet between batches as needed. Sprinkle bread with salt. Serve with mashed roasted garlic.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.