Huckleberry Cupcakes with Sweet Cream
Huckleberries are a Montana summer staple. You may substitute blueberries.
Martha Stewart Living, July 2007
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk, room temperature
- 2 cups huckleberries, plus more for garnish
- 2 cups cold heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, plus more for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350. Line 2 standard muffin tins with paper liners. Sift together flours, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat butter and granulated sugar with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time, and vanilla. Reduce speed to low, and add the flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture; beat until combined after each addition. Fold in huckleberries by hand.
- Divide batter among cups. Bake, rotating halfway through, until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Let cool.
- Beat cream and confectioners' sugar until firm peaks form. Dollop cupcakes with whipped cream, garnish with berries, and dust with confectioners' sugar.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.