The batter for these fudgy ginger brownies never actually touches a bowl. Butter and chocolate are melted in a saucepan, and the other ingredients are stirred right in.
Martha Stewart Living, September 2006
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for baking dish
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter an 8-inch square baking dish. Line bottom with parchment paper, allowing 2 inches to hang over 2 sides. Butter parchment; set aside. Melt butter and chocolate together in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat, and stir in remaining ingredients.
- Pour batter into prepared dish. Smooth top with a rubber spatula. Bake until a cake tester inserted into center comes out with moist crumbs, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes. Lift out, and let cool completely on rack. Cut into sixteen 2-inch squares. Brownies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to 4 days.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.