Napa Cabbage Salad with Mirin Dressing
To ensure paper-thin slices of daikon and lotus root, use a mandoline.
Martha Stewart Living, May 2007
- 1 medium daikon radish (about 4 ounces), peeled and thinly sliced lengthwise into 18 pieces
- 3 scallions, white part only, halved lengthwise, bottoms left intact
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons rice-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- Coarse salt
- 1 small head napa cabbage (about 12 ounces), cored and finely shredded (about 6 cups)
- 1 lotus root (about 2 ounces), peeled, rinsed and thinly sliced crosswise into 18 pieces
- 8 ounces silken tofu, drained and cut into six 2-inch cubes
- Place daikon and scallions in a large bowl filled with ice and water.
- Whisk together mirin, vinegar, oils, and a generous pinch of salt.
- Place cabbage in a large bowl, and toss with half of the dressing. Divide among plates. Top with 3 slices each daikon and lotus root, a tofu cube, and a fanned-out scallion half. Drizzle with remaining dressing.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.