Gemelli with Yellow Squash, Peas, and Basil
Chill out tonight by using just one burner for dinner. Parmesan and butter (plus a bit of pasta water and lemon juice) make an instant delicately creamy sauce that flatters veggies in this carefree supper.
Everyday Food, July/August 2008
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 25 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 8 ounces gemelli or other short pasta
- 3 medium yellow squash, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup torn fresh basil leaves
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta 2 minutes less than al dente. Add squash and peas; cook until squash is crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water; drain pasta mixture, and return to pot.
- To mixture in pot, add butter, lemon juice, 1/4 cup Parmesan, and 1/4 cup pasta water. Season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine. If needed, add enough pasta water to create a thin sauce that coats pasta. Stir in basil, and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan; serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.