- 3 slices bacon
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese (2 ounces)
- Coarse salt
- 2 heads Boston lettuce (1 pound total), torn into bite-size pieces
- 6 ounces deli turkey, cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 plum tomatoes, halved, seeded, and diced
- 4 large hard-cooked egg whites, chopped
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and diced
- In a medium skillet, cook bacon over medium, turning occasionally, until crisp, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate, and drain. Break into bite-size pieces.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, mayonnaise, and vinegar. Gently fold in blue cheese; season with salt, and set dressing aside.
- Place lettuce in a large bowl; arrange bacon, turkey, tomatoes, egg whites, and avocado on top. Serve salad with dressing alongside.
To maximize the impact of a modest amount of blue cheese, fold it into a creamy dressing (with low-fat buttermilk and light mayo) instead of sprinkling it on top.